When it comes to getting the best performance out of your Plume network, pod placement is everything! While every home has a unique size, shape, and Wi-Fi environment, here are some guidelines for maximizing your speeds.
We recommend one SuperPod for every two rooms. Pods should be spread evenly around the home, especially in rooms and open spaces where is more common to use WiFi. Typically, SuperPods should be placed about 15-20 feet apart through walls and 30-40 feet apart for large open spaces (like a large living room). Pods should be placed 7-10 feet apart through walls and 15-20 feet aprat in the open.
Be sure to position pods in central locations along interior walls of your home to take advantage of the pods' omnidirectional radios!
Turn Off Additional Wi-Fi Networks
- Parallel networks from an upstream or additional router increase interference, dramatically decreasing your Plume network's performance
- If your secondary network shared an SSID and Password with your Plume network, devices will often become confused and hop between the two networks, hurting their connectivity
Steer Clear of Furniture
- Dense padding and metal/wood framing in furniture can inhibit your Wi-Fi performance. Try placing your pod in an open, exposed area to improve signal and show off your new hardware!
- Similarly to how mirrors reflect light, they also reflect Wi-Fi signal, decreasing signal strength. Try to position pods to connect around large mirrors and windows, rather than through.
- TVs, refrigerators, subwoofers, and metals doors are Wi-Fi killers. Avoid placing pods too close to or behind these appliances.
- Devices like microwaves, baby monitors, and cordless phones often share the same frequency as your Wi-Fi networks, creating additional interference when placed too close together.
Work Around Your Home's Construction
- Just like mirrors, energy efficient windows can negatively impact your Wi-Fi signal.
- Metallic blinds/shades can also prevent your network from reaching balconies, terraces, or gardens.
- Foil backed underfloor insulation can prevent Wi-Fi signals from passing between floors in your home. Try placing pods near stairs where they might have a more direct line of sight.